9 Things That Will Help You Understand Windows Containers

Since late last year I’ve written more than 100 articles about Windows Server 2016 on this blog and others, today I’ll try to explain a few basic things about Windows Containers.

It looks to me that 95% of IT Professionals know nothing about Windows Containers and the remaining 5% think that Docker Is Windows Containers.

Today, I’ll try to sort out the mess with a few basic facts about Windows Containers.

What Is Windows Containers?

  1. Windows Containers Is a new Server Technology that allows us to run a clean Instance of Windows Server on the same Host.
  2. Windows Containers are not VMs because they share the kernel with the container host and all other containers running on it.
  3. Windows Containers keep a sandbox file that records all the changes that are made to the Base OS
  4. Windows Containers are deployed from a Container Image that can be downloaded using the Docker pull command
  5. Docker Is a Management tool that Microsoft licensed from Docker
  6. All Docker commands are case sensitive and they all use lower case
  7. Currently, Docker Is the most popular Containers Management Tool both for Linux and Windows
  8. A Container Host Is a Server that we run the Containers on, We can use all versions of Windows Server 2016 Including Nano Server to act as a Container Host
  9. There Is no GUI Interface on Windows Containers and we can only deploy Containers that are running Windows Nano Server or Windows Core 2016 version only
  10. You can access a container Using PowerShell Remote or other mean all management Is done using docker

To get started, I’ve listed a few great articles about Windows Containers:

Deploy Windows Containers

How To Configure Windows Containers Networking

Deploy IIS On Windows Nano Server 2016 Container

How Update Windows Containers Docker Version To The Latest Build