This article will Introduce Windows Azure Server Management tools and will show you how to use it.
The main question people ask me, what Is Azure Server Management tools? ASMT Is a Web Interface Service that allow you to manage all your Cloud and on premises server from the Windows Azure portal located on the Internet.
The tool become very handy when you need to manage Nano Servers and Windows Core Servers when there Is no GUI Installed.
Using ASMT you can:
- Change system configuration
- Monitor performance across various resources and manage processes and services
- Manage devices attached to the server
- View event logs
- View the list of installed roles and features
- Use a PowerShell console to manage and automate ( This Is a very good feature)
So how does It work ?
- To get ASMT to work you first need to Install the service from the Windows Azure Portal (see below).
- Install Server Management Tools Gateway (very Important) – In order for ASMT to work you need to Install tools on a Windows Server 2016 or Windows Server 2012 R2 with WMF 5.0 Installed on the same Network your Servers located and has Internet connection.
- At this stage ASMT can only manage Windows Server 2016 Technical preview and Nano Server (more to come).
This how the ASMT design looks like ( Image taken from Microsoft)
To Install the ASMT Service go the Azure Marketplace and search for Server Management Tools
In the next article I’ll show you how to add and configure new servers.