With the upcoming release of Exchange Server 2016 CU1 I decided to summarise the Important features you need to know before the release.
Microsoft released Exchange Server 2016 on October 1, 2015 and It was the 9th release of Exchange Server products, The first Exchange Server was released 20 years ago.
The main 6 things you need to know about Exchange Server 2016 are:
- There are only one 2 Servers roles (Mailbox and Edge) compare to 4 In Exchange 2013 – This Is a big change compare to Exchange 2013 & 2010 which allows you to reduce the number Of servers In the deployment.
- Outlook Web App (formerly known as OWA) In now called Outlook on the web – Yes, Outlook OWA Is changing Its name again this Is the 2nd name change since Exchange 2013.
- Offline Outlook On the Web – Offline Outlook on the web allows you to cache your mailbox when using a browser, Great Improvement however only supported on HTML 5 browsers like Microsoft Edge, Internet explorer 11, Google Chrome 44+ , Firefox 39+ and Safari 8+.
- Data loss prevention (DLP) Is built Into Exchange and allows to protect 80 different types of sensitive Information – Now you can get extra security and meet legal compliance with Exchange 2016 out of the box.
- Compliance search – New In 2016 and part of the eDiscovery search tool which allows you to search unlimited number of mailboxes In a single search (Note: Compliance search Is only available using Exchange Management Shell and you need to be part of the Mailbox Search Management role or be member of Discovery management role)
- MAPI over HTTP Is now the default communication protocol between Outlook clients and Exchange however If the clients don’t support It they will fail back to Outlook Anywhere.