Today, Microsoft released another Windows Server 2019 Insider build to Windows Insiders users and this build bring new features.
Build 17639 comes with great new features that will make migration from older Server OS to Server 2019 Azure easy with low downtime.
I listed below some and the main new features.
In Place Upgrade
In place upgrade from Windows Server 2012 R2 and Windows Server 2016 with the ability to retain settings and Installed features.
The Versions below are supported:
Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard and Datacenter
Windows Server 2016 Standard and Datacenter
Storage Migration Service (SMS)
Windows Server 2019 will be released with a new Server Role called Storage Migration Service (SMS) that will simplify migration of Data and Security between Windows Server 2003, 2008, and 2012 R2.
SMS Will allow to:
- Inventory existing Servers for Data, Security and Network Settings
- Migration of Data, Security and Network Settings from old to a new SMB Target
- Move the Identity of the old Server completely and decommissioning the old Server without affecting users and application.
- Move Data to targets on-premises or Azure
- SMS Will be available as part of the Honolulu Project that comes.
Below you can see the SMS service role On Windows Server.
With Windows Server 2019 Storage replica will be available on Windows Server 2019 Standard edition and just on Enterprise edition (currently with Server 2016).