Today the Microsoft Server team announced the upcoming release of Windows Server 1803 as part of the Semi-Annual.
After the successful release of Windows Server 1709 which was covered on this blog, Microsoft is gearing up for another release.
- Optimized Windows Server Core Container Image – The new 1803 Container Image Is 30% smaller and better optimized for Windows Container compared to 1709.
- Curl, Tar and SSH – New Copy Paste and SSH support, I have blogged about these new features and showed how to use them.
- Container Networking Features – 1803 comes with localhost and HTTP and proxy support.
- Kuberentes – Not yet supported on Windows Server Containers but Microsoft Is working on getting there.
To try it these new features, make sure you visit the Microsoft Insider program.
About Long and Semi-Annual Channel
As Announced back In early 2017, Windows Server will be available in two release modules.
- Long-Term Servicing channel – This Is the current and most familiar module where a new operating system version is released every 2-3 years with 5 years support cycle.
Windows Server 2019 will be released as part of the Long-Term Channel.
- Semi-Annual Channel – This new module will offer two new releases every year with new features and roles, support will be available for 18 months.