Answer: To view and change the FSMO roles on Windows Server 2008 R2 we need to use 3 tools:
- The Active Directory Users And Computers
- Active Directory Domains and Trusts
Active Directory Schema snap in (MMC)
Remember: If you need to change \move the FSMO role you need to do it from the server you are moving it to and not from the server that currently holding the role.
To view and change the FMO Roles follow the steps below:
- This step will show you the RID, PDC and Infrastructure Roles.
Open Active Directory Users And Computers.
Right Click on Active Directory Users And Computers -> All Tasks -> Operation Masters
This tool will show only 3 Roles out of 5.
To change the server that holds the role, click change and follow the prompts.
- This step will show you the Domain Naming operation Master Role
To view or change the Domain Naming Master Role open Active Directory Domain And Trust from the administrative tools.
Right Click on the Active Directory Domains And Trust and Click on Operations Master.
This will show you the server that holds the Role.
To change the server that holds the Role Click on Change.
- The last Role is Schema Master Role, To view the Role location or change it, we need to register the Active Directory Schema first.
To register the DLL , Type the following command in the Run command line:
Once OK, Open the Active Directory Schema using the mmc.exe tool.
Right Click on Active Directory Scheme and Click on Operation Master.
To change the Role location Click on Change.
You can also view to FSMO roles by using the following CMD command:
Netdom query fsmo