In this article, I’ll show you how I Install Microsoft SQL Server Express 2016 Windows container Image With Docker Engine.
Using Microsoft SQL Server Express for Windows Containers, allows Administrators and Developers to deploy SQL environment Instantly and use Docker Shared Volumes to host the databases without saving any real data on the actual container.
Microsoft released the Official SQL Image to Docker’s Public Repository last year under the name microsoft/mssql-server-windows-express.
The official SQL Image Is made of Windows Server Core 2016 with the latest CU and Windows SQL Server Express 2016 with SP1.
In my previous articles, I showed you how to Deploy, Connect and Configure Docker on Windows Server 2016 with some of them listed below.
- Part 1: Deploy Docker Container On Windows Server 2016
- Part 2: Deploy Docker On Windows Server 2016
- Part 3: Download Windows Images For Docker
- Part 4: Create A Windows Server 2016 Container Using Docker
- Part 5: Install IIS On A Windows Docker Container
- Part 6: Connect A Windows Container To A Shared Storage With Docker
The first step In the process, Is to download the SQL Image using the Docker command below:
docker pull microsoft/mssql-server-windows-express
The Image size Is 12GB so please allow a few hours for the Image to download
Once, the download Is completed, I’ll run the SQL Container with the Docker line below:
docker run -e 'ACCEPT_EULA=Y' -e 'SA_PASSWORD=Password01' -p 1433:1433 -d microsoft/microsoft/mssql-server-windows-express